Freddies handmade jewellery

Tuesday 17 November 2015

My latest crochet pattern for Woman's Weekly and why grey is full of surprises

I'm really chuffed to finally be able to show you my latest crochet design for Woman's Weekly Magazine.


It's been a true labour of love. I sketched ideas around Christmas 2014 before digging my crochet hook into the final item around February of this year.

My original sketches for what I'd envisioned


I finally handed the finished garment in at the end of the summer and let me say, it was an incredible feeling. I was really proud of it and am beaming now that it's finally made it to print!

This delicate shawl is worked on a 2mm hook. © Woman's Weekly
I've been playing around with fine crochet threads for a few years now. I adore the look of fine yarns in both knitting and crochet, so as soon as this brief came my way, I couldn't wait to get going.

I was particularly happy that the Knitting Editor opted for this cool grey. I adore grey.

Last year, I produced these fine crochet hanging decorations for Christmas © Woman's Weekly

Grey is and always has been one of my favourite colours for two important reasons.

Firstly, it's surprisingly easy to wear. Far more interesting than black, in garments it layers nicely with most colours and creates interesting colour combinations, than black never could.

Black's too easy to wear to the point of being predictable. We all do it. And it's not very nice to crochet with, because it's incredibly dark and impossible to see what your crochet hook is doing.

My favourite baby booklet of all time. I bought it with pocket money when I was about 13 and still knit from it today.

Secondly, it's an excellent unisex shade. It's a wonderful choice for baby knits and a refreshing alternative to sickly yellow or dull white (I really dislike white actually), especially these icy silvers I've shown you so far.

I must have knitted my fiance at least 15 things in grey over the years (although saying that, he only really wears grey, navy and black), but I know it's what he likes so there's really no point in me trying to push something more flamboyant on him. It wouldn't be worth my knitting time!
Here he is in the grey sweater I did him for Christmas last year. A nice easy-care (man-proof) Opal sock yarn.
I've always felt that we can mentally recolour items much more easily when the original is photographed having been made in pale, soft shades.

My felted brooch designs are great fun at crochet workshops © Woman's Weekly

Wishy-washy colours make me feel a bit ill - clear, cool shades are more my sort of thing.

A colour consultant I saw a few years ago sussed out which colours would suit me. Thankfully she confirmed that I was on the right track with the colours I already like to work with and wear, labelling me a 'clear winter' pallette.

For example, I've never worn gold, only silver and platinum. Gold just doesn't feel right when I put it on. Too warm!

Crocheting with wools is always a fiddly business. Fabrics can come out very dense and heavy, so I also prefer the finer yarns in life (namely DMC Petra and Anchor Freccia, or thinner).

As I mentioned earlier, I feel the same way about knitting. I just don't enjoy rigorous hand movements around big hooks and needles and I generally don't like the untidy finished fabrics. They don't stand up to the test of time, either.

A photo posted by Ash (@ajax_spraynwipe) on


I love the sky. Every time there is a meteor shower I drag Ben outdoors at 4am to see them. It makes you feel very small.

In the daytime London is very grey, but I like it. Moody clouds tell a story.

They're never really grey though. Whirls of purples, blue, orange and red. I could honestly stare at the clouds all day. There's a lot going on there. Totally mesmeric. I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I do.

So enjoy my new pattern I do hope some of you give it a go. I've got it in mind for my future bridesmaids for sure! Happy crocheting everyone.

Read more of my crochet antics at Woman's Weekly's crochet page.


No comments:

Post a Comment