Freddies handmade jewellery

Wednesday 11 November 2015

Behind the scenes at Sarah Hazell's house, a KAL, and what Wovember means!

Sarah Hazell is, always has been and always will be, my mentor. I look up to her no end, and I was delighted to be invited for a sleepover last weekend!

But before I dish dish dish, allow me to regail you of how our relationship came to be.

Back in 2007, a select few Rowan Design Consultants gathered at a secret location (well, Hatfield) for initiation into the world of workshop tutoring. Learning with me was Margaret Rowan, Jenny Stilwell, Anne Makepeace, Sara Thornett and Sara Hayton [who since, sadly - has mysteriously vanished].
Sarah (above, right) was always a hugely popular workshop tutor
A 21-year-old me was paired up to be mentored by Sarah and I was completely enamoured with her. She's so cool, bubbly and ozzes passion about the craft. She lends a real sense of fun to her classes. I was totally inspired to be just like her.

A bubbly personality that runs through her whole house, right down to glassware!

She taught me to embrace my knitting strengths [ahem, socks if you haven't noticed] and to be proud of my passion for fibrecrafts, encouraging me to beam it outwards instead of hiding it from my peers in deep embarassment.

I learned a great deal from her and owe her my entire career really. Look at me now!

Sarah's (centre) exlusive poncho designs for Coats AW 2014
After years of working in the same circles, but at opposite ends of the country (she's from up Brummie and I'm a Londoner), opportunitied to work together were rare and we finally had the chance to teach a Christmas weekend knitting retreat together in Yorkshire in 2013.
 
My mum came along and the retreat was a total sellout. Let me tell you, it was such a giggle!

The following year I joined Woman's Weekly and waved goodbye to workshops of old in exchange for something shiny and new. I thought that would be the end of lovely Sarah and me, that I'd never really see her again.

I've always loved Sarah's bold and daring sense of colour
But boy was I wrong! We've been in touch more than ever and last weekend I was whisked off my feet after a workshop in Birmingham and was taken to knitting heaven! Eat your heart out Kaffe, this quirky knit studio is an ambience to be reckoned with.

The house is filled with fibre from floor to ceiling, on both floors. There is yarny greatness everywhere. It was very calming. It just felt... right. Comforting.

The whole studio is one big mood board
The entire living room [as well as other hidden spaces around the house] is devoted to design and bursting with brainstorms of yarn, inspiring images and colours.

There's a reason I call her Aunty Sarah [including when I answer the phone in the office]. She's always teaching me new things, this time introducing me to Wovember, which I'd never heard of!

Essentially Wovember runs through November [shocker!] and encourages the usage and wear of 100% wool. Well she's embraced this with both knitting hands - and designed a whole bunch of lovely things to encourage you to get involved. Meet the Slow Comfort collection;

Colour Block Hat pattern from Sarah's Slow Comfort collection
These 100% Blue faced Leicester hats are a kit which costs only £15 and are simple to make with a bold block colour change and some delightful travelling stitch textures. BFL has always been my fave sheep [dorky, but true] and if you find it a touch rough, just wash it in some of your favourite hair conditioner. It's yummy.

I must have said 'I like the blue one' like, 50 times. But... I like the blue one.

Sarah's daughter Phoebe rocks the yellow with her warm skintone and berry lips

The yellow and grey are nice too but my pale yellow-beige pallor isn't great with yellow - makes me look yellow! Bit jealous of the model really.

Modelled by the absolutely ruddy gorgeous Phoebs Hazell!
Picture it with me, knitters - there's lush knits tucked into every corner, including this above bad boy here [not Phoebs, the poncho!]. Knitted in Wendy Ramsdale yarn, Sarah's announced her first KAL which begins on the 28 November in the Ravelry Group. So get your butts in there and join in!

You can get your kit from the warm and welcoming Slow Comfort collection on sarah-hazell.com.

...there may even be prizes, who knows [well, I do - and there are!].

So yes, this was the reminiscent wooly Wovember goodness that wrapped up a drizzly weekend teaching in Brum. Like a big warm fuzzy cuddle. I had a wonderful time and I can't wait to come back up. And if that's not enough to make me desperate to go back, look who lives there, too!

Oscar is one of the two friendliest, happiest dogs I have ever met. The other is his sister Millie (not pictured)
Before I sign of though, all this talk of gorgeous Phoebs and fairy godknitter Sarah, it wouldn't be fair for me not to mention Sarah's other half, Paul.

....You're not so bad yourself, Paul. :) xxx

Happy Wovember, everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment