Freddies handmade jewellery

Friday 20 September 2013

Pickled Tink?

Well I knew it would probably hit us one day. My fiancé (don't tell him I called him that, he hates that word!!!) and I, have been together for a very happy 8 years. We do share some passions; I think it took us 6 years to find 'gardening'; with what can only be described as completely flukey herb germination. A couple of years on, for some reason, he's turned 30, and taken to pickling. Now don't get me wrong here, I think it's a great idea. But I must admit, I'm much more of a jam person myself. Saying that, I've never attempted making either of them.

He started collecting jars about a year ago, did his research online about different methods and recipes.. I suppose you could say that taste tests were involved, but the man has been inhaling pickled savoury items frequently for some years now. Often, in the middle of the night, I waken to behold a solemn shadowy character across the room, delicately reaching for the pickled green chilli that is - just - out of reach, laying at the bottom of the jar.

If you ask me, Barry Norman is a major influence. The recipe is to be a "work in progress", to someday be perfected. I had so far been trying to think of excuses not to try them when they're unleashed, but actually, long lost in my memory is a little me munching pickled onions and blocks of cheddar on sticks at birthday parties.. so I must have found these peculiar snackfoods pallatable at some point! He's gone to all this effort, I really ought to try..

So let me talk you through the image; this is two of at least ten of the jars currently 'pickling'. Each jar was thoroughlly cleaned at a high temperature in the dishwasher, twice. He bought 2kg of teeny tiny onions which are often available at this time of year, peeled and salted them overnight, removed the salt, and then briefly boiled them in vinegar with the secret mix of 'erbs and spices. The cling is to prevent rust and to form a tighter air seal. Let me tell you; nobody knows true love until you've peeled said many onions on behalf of someone else.
They've been refridgerated for a month as it was so hot this summer, but are now in a cool dark place. Un-jarring will commence in the next few weeks right up until Christmas.

In the spirit of girlying things up (don't they look grim?!!) I bought some great Rowan fabric for the lids, and some pretty labels for his jars, but I'm told we're going to wait until they're done. Me? I've given myself charge of the Christmas cake. My Birthday is New Years' Eve and there's usually enough to carry over til then. My Birthday is never the same without Christmas cake. I've never made one before, and I'm looking forward to feeding it my favourite brandy, Three Barrells.

In the meantime, my delicate ladies hands have been perfecting the art of dim sum construction. These are a few won-ton wrappers which I filled with pork mince, spring onions, shiaoxing rice wine, soy sauce, garlic and ginger, and tied up with a chive from the garden. They were very tasty, and steamed in no time!


Happy Eating Everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment