Freddies handmade jewellery

Saturday 21 September 2013

Designer Knits by Sarah Hatton and Martin Storey Review & Preview


Well it's a double-whammy weekend from me. I do hope you don't mind but I thought I'd bring you some gorgeous previews of my most favouritest coveted item that magically made it's way into my bag when I was on a special trip today!


It's so exciting, I may have actually stopped breathing when I saw this for REAL, as in, really existing in my palms. Such wonderful, wonderful things that I have the pleasure of sharing with you all!


I'm not gonna blow everything, but you must, must join me in the excitement at the luscious texture adventure that is the new book; Designer Knits by Sarah Hatton and Martin Storey. Imminent in the shops, I must say, I'm over the moon. So here are some images of my favourite designs that are available in there. Eat your heart out!


It's avery lush-feeling publication, weighing in at 128 glossy pages of stylishly photographed, rich and textured Autumn/Winter designs, detailed yarn information to aid your freedom of substitution and save you time, and picture galleries for easy navigation. I mean Martin Storey is my favourite ever designer. I was just saying to Marie Wallin earlier how long it took me to get the courage to talk to her; Martin is the same! I must have been in the vicinity 4 times and still not had the guts to say 'hi, I'm Freddie!'. But I digress!!!


What's really clever, and what I really like is the way the book is laid out. The first half for ladies, the second half for blokes. Sarah has put together a wearable, fashionable collection in a mixture of yarns including Rowan Lima, Rowan Pure Wool Aran, and Rowan Felted Tweed. Martin's men's patterns are rich, thick textures and Storey-style cabling in yarns including Felted Tweed Aran, Rowan Lima and Creative Focus Worsted.


I have to say I am completely heartbroken that my fella won't wear anything with pattern (like, at ALL - there are only so many 4ply stocking stitch jumpers one lady can make in black and navy), and that my Dad requests them and then finds them 'too special to wear', because Martin's designs are wasted on me this time round. This is the most stunning selection of classic, wintry knitwear for men I have seen since Jaeger's book for Men (another Martin Storey classic).


But I digress again!!!!
    ...too busy drooling at the cables. Snap out of it, Freddie!

Readers are treated to a glossy, clear and well-styled, large image of each and every garment. It's really a great book and a must-buy for your AW book purchases. I myself would also add Kim Hargreaves 'Smoulder' to the pile, also contributing some major texture to the mix! (Her webpage was down at the time of writing but I'm certain it will be up again soon). For more from Sarah Hatton, check out her website, and Martin's stuff is easiest found on Ravelry!








2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, F.! So, which will you knit? I still haven't seen this puppy in person. Glad to find your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't write very often, but I do it when I can! I actually really like the cardigan at the top, but I am a bit allergic to V-necks, so still not sure!

    ReplyDelete