Freddies handmade jewellery

Thursday 7 March 2019

Macrame Gold and Silver Cowry (Cowrie) bracelets now on Etsy

Well this is a new one! I've always loved seashells, collecting them when I was a little girl. I've always found them fascinating and was secretly disappointed that I couldn't meet the incredible creatures that lived inside.

No different to my current love of fossils and all things faunatical, I suppose.

Seashell bracelet on knotted black cord with gold shell
So when I started seeing seashell beads and how cost-effective they are, I couldn't resist making a bunch for my etsy shop.

My mother-in-law is always complaining about fiddly clasps and I must admit, I can't do up a bracelet myself if it's got a lobster clasp. I need help. So I've made these with adjustable pull-knots.

I did try matching spacer beads instead of glue-sealed knots but they just looked so clunky and heavy I rapidly fell out of love with them and opted for the simplicity of knots instead.

handmade white, silver and black seashell bracelet on grey background

I generally don't wear gold, but I think the gold ones are so far, the prettiest. The antique silver ones aren't 925 sterling silver and the beads are a touch flatter, but they're still lovely. I am currently working on sourcing some more 3D, polished 925 silver versions.

I experimented with a few different cords before I found one I was happy with. I tried waxed cotton cord that was quite thick, which looked nice but was very chunky and heavy.

Candle bracelet friendship gifts
Watch this space for friendship bracelet candles, coming soon.
The chunkier cords work well for a single shell bracelet but I much prefer the light finer nylon cords for the more ornate jewellery.

White seashell bracelet on knotted black cord on cream background
The lighter cord gives me more scope for a finer macramé knot tube at the fastening end. I've also done a choker necklace version with a stainless steel adjustable fastening which I'm loving. I just need a sunny place to go away on holiday now - or better still, a boho music festival, where I can show off these bad boys!

white seashell necklace on black background






No comments:

Post a Comment