Freddies handmade jewellery

Wednesday 9 January 2019

Hand-strung low cost freshwater pearls inspired by Jersey

Pearls have always caught my eye, ever since I was little.

But not traditional pearls.

I nearly always wear a black choker made from onyx, but pearls are so much more special.

After falling head-over-heels for a black pearl string I came across, I ended up teaching myself how to string them. And I'm happy to be able to now share my creations with you!

I was on Jersey a couple of years ago, writing an article for Woman's Weekly (absolutely amazing island, I can't wait to go back). In the airport on the way home, we were delayed, so I was blessed with a good couple of hours or so to parouse the airport shops.

My article for Woman's Weekly magazine

Dazzling in one of the jewellery outlets was a ethereal-metallic black pearl string with an irridescent finish. They totally spoke to me. I don't remember what they cost, but they were well out of my price league. Probably Tahitian pearls. I don't actually remember.

Those that know me will know I pretty much always wear a choker. I started off beading because I couldn't buy them anywhere in the right length (my neck is pretty narrow), so I gave up and started making them myself.

Naturally dyed using potatoes, these are known as 'peacock' pearls for the subtle and reflective cosmic blue, green and purple hues.
So after two years of persevering with what I can only describe as an 'extremely fiddly' technique, I've finally got the knack. And I have recreated that most gorgeous necklace that caught my eye.

I'm completely thrilled to finally be sharing them with you on my Etsy shop! I've found some amazing natural colours of pearl and just keep falling in love with them all. I'm just working on sourcing some nice vintage boxes and hopefully will be able to pack these up in the most amazing box too.

No comments:

Post a Comment